The Boyd Funeral Home has its roots in LaRue, Ohio in western Marion County where William Clarence Boyd (known as Posey) opened a furniture and mortuary business there in 1922. Working with him was Andy Ford who later became a partner in the LaRue operation of Boyd's Funeral Home in LaRue. Later, the Ford family purchased and operated it until 1970.
In 1929 Posey moved his mortuary business to Marion on Columbia Street behind the Lust Property on Main Street. In 1935 he purchased the Lust property and joined the two houses to provide more room for his growing business. During the depression the site of the Lust home was sold and moved to its current location. A Sohio Filling Station occupied the corner lot until the 1980's before the lot was resold to the funeral home and is now the main parking lot.
During the late 1940's the funeral home was known as the Boyd-Uncapher Funeral Home. John Uncapher, licensed funeral director and part owner, lived in the funeral home with his family until 1950. During this time, the business also started an ambulance service that continued until 1981.
After 1950, Posey's son, Phililip Fraber Boyd, operated the funeral home with the help of his wife, Phyllis Hecker-Boyd. By 1979 they were serving between 250 and 300 families a year in addition to the ambulance service. Heaven gained an angel when Phil Boyd passed away in 2006, leaving the funeral home to his wife of many years.
Today, Boyd-Born Funeral Home remains one of Marion's finest funeral homes and is an outstanding addition to Marion Downtown under the management of Larry Born, nephew of the late Phillip Boyd. The funeral home, owned by Carole Boyd, widow of Phillip Boyd, is undergoing a massive renovation to preserve the beautiful Victorian home and carriage house to better serve the entire Marion Community.